Little bog,Little bog o’horrors.Little bog,Little bog o’terror.Call a cop.Little bog o’horrors.No, oh, oh, no-oh!
Yeah. This is where we were just a few short months ago – stuck with a gross loo and a bath that could make a grown man gag. Luckily, after a deep clean, what had felt like a sick joke was revealed to be a pretty decent little bathroom with relatively new fixtures. We then set out to make it, not just liveable but pretty, on a minimal budget and armed only with my painting expertise and James’ endless trust in the power of DIY.
|This photo was taken on the day we first viewed this old house. Something needed to be done. Fast.|
I know. And don’t even get me started on the Asterix-stickers… for shits shake.
This was my check list for the project:– re-attach a few cracked tiles below the bathroom mirror– patch holes in the plaster and a few on the floor– Replace the mirror – it was damaged as well as ugly– fix or replace a broken shower head– attach a rail for a shower curtain– patch holes on the door and adjust the fit (the door did not close properly)– Sort out all grout lines that have been painted over with that gross green gloss– replace the toilet seat with something more comfortable– create storage for toiletries, towels etc.– paint the walls, plumbing, tub surround and all trims– Patch up the paint in the ceiling above the bath/shower– attach a new towel rail closer to the bath/shower– remove old towel hooks that were too far from the bath/shower– decorate like a boss
We did not have a set budget, but incredibly I ended up spending less than 300 euros on this update, bulk of if being the cost of paint. As there was no plumbing or electrical work for the time being, I was able to do all of it myself, thus avoiding to pay for labour entirely. Because we had to complete the painting while using the bathroom and wait to get the paint delivered, the whole process took a couple of months. It could have been a week’s project for somebody with the materials at hand and another shower to use but taking it easy gave us time to think what we really wanted from this mini-renovation; what was necessary and what was not.
The paint I used had to be oil based in able to adhere to the old gloss base, so I picked self-undercoating Dulux Trade Eggshell in Brilliant White for the long walls, and Dulux Valentine Laque in Sage 4 and Framboise 2 for the accents. We were in luck to have a friend pick us up some British paint as it can be silly expensive here in France. Some say it’s not the same stuff either – and they are right; most Dulux paints sold in France are adjusted to the French taste in both colour and composition. They are also largely made in France, therefore different from the ones sold in your average building supply store in the UK. Not available beyond the French-speaking market, the Valentine gloss with a satin finish was pleasant to use and dried pretty quickly.
|So the painting begins…|
|The clean and neat AFTER shots. I am very pleased how it all turned out.|
|This unit used to be in our kitchen, now it hold all of our toiletries and a formidable stack of towels. Not a shabby space for a spa day.|
|The mirror is not currently fixed on the wall, but rests on a shallow marble self above the sink.|
|Finlayson towels – this pattern is called Elefantti and it was designed in 1969 by Laila Koskela.|